Friday, May 25, 2012

Muslims in American History

One of my co-workers learned of my interest in other cultures, and loaned me this book.  I was hesitant at first, because I thought it would be an angry Muslim book, detailing all the ways in which white America has trod on their ancestors.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that is not the case.  The book does talk about the hidden history of Muslims in America, but the author does it with a clinical eye that understands history is (usually) written by the winners.

The book starts with the idea that Muslims visited the Americas even before Eric the Red, and had trade already established by the time Columbus decided to make his voyage.  Next, it weaves its way through history, and outlines the contributions Muslims have made to America.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  I love learning about other cultures, and by seeing a fresh perspective it helps me to better understand how all the puzzle pieces fit together.

http://www.amazon.com/Muslims-American-History-Forgotten-Legacy/dp/1590080440

No comments:

Post a Comment